Nazis in Brazil -
Here is a timeline developed by Google. Highlights include:
- 1938 - Nazi attempts to win in Brazil
- 1939 - Nazis plan barter deal with Brazil
- 1940 - Nazi agents bring pressure in Brazil
- 1941 - Wendell Willkie warned of serious trouble for this country
- 1943 - Papacy, says Haaretz, was a center for Nazi espionage
- 1945 - Msgr. Costa assisted Nazis to find refute in Brazil
- 1967 - Franz Paul Strangl, third most wanted Nazi war criminal, arrested in Sao Paulo
- 1985 - Dr. Josef Mengele may have lived for 20 yrs. in Brazil until his death
- 1997 - Banco de Brasil, San Paulo, contained huge Nazi fortune.
There are many other indications that neo-Nazism remains a threat in Brazil. In May, 2009 Brazil's federal police thwarted a neo-Nazi plan to bomb two synagogues in Porto Alegre (http://bit.ly/eBeJt6).